Virologist III (Biologist III)
Battelle’s founding mission “to translate scientific discovery and technology advances into societal benefit” is as relevant today as when we opened our doors over 90 years ago. Our science and technology enhance society's well-being and create critical innovations that drive scientific advances for the future. We conduct groundbreaking research and development, design and manufacture leading-edge products, and deliver critical services for commercial and government customers. Our work meets the needs of the nation when it matters most, and Battelle is committed to driving innovation today and for generations to come.
We are currently seeking a Virologist III. This position is located in West Jefferson, OH.
Battelle’s Life Science Research Center offers a staff of highly trained scientist and technicians, and state of the art facilities to support our clients’ microbiology, toxicology, safety pharmacology, and inhalation research programs. Our multidisciplinary integrated approach to providing critical solutions for our pharmaceuticals, biotech, agrichemical, industrial, and government clients increases the speed of the development while maintaining quality and compliance.
The Virologist III functions as a subject matter expert within the organization and, as a study director, has oversight of the scientific elements of projects to ensure successful implementation and/or study completion of studies designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of antimicrobial candidates. This position analyzes and reports results for publication or to sponsor, provides scientific instruction to other members of the project team, and collaborates with other senior members of the staff on projects/research. Individuals filling this position must be and remain knowledgeable of emerging trends and may contribute to and influence best practices within the discipline.
This position is responsible for the organization, management, and business performance of studies designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of candidates for treatment or prevention of viral diseases. Develops and implements strategic business and market plans which contribute to the group’s overall operating results through financial management of gross business volume, capital equipment and operating budgets.
• Performs role of Virology Subject Matter Expert (SME) on commercial or government contracts and grants; interfaces with client's scientific staff as appropriate.
• Serves as Study Director on safety and efficacy studies for commercial and government sponsors.
• Reviews data and authors study reports, or portions thereof, as appropriate.
• Partners with Business Development, Project Management, and Proposals to ensure successful client engagement, proposal development, study execution, and deliverables upon study completion.
• Participates in proposal generation and performs scientific/technical review of proposals.
• Drafts protocols, amendments, departmental notifications, and study comments forms, ensuring correct grammar, punctuation, consistency in format and style, and adherence to regulatory requirements and contract language.
• PhD degree (and 1+ years experience) or Master’s degree (with 4+ years experience) in life sciences discipline or Bachelor's degree with 6+ years prior experience.
• Knowledge and ability to use the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of the particular field of specialization (Virology).
• Expertise in design, execution, interpretation of studies to evaluate safety and efficacy of antiviral candidates.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills including correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Has advanced the field of knowledge in his/her specialty. Work directly impacts the present or future of the organization in significant ways
• Demonstrated competency in regulated environment.
• Must be a US citizen with the ability and willingess to obtain security clearance.
• Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Biological Personnel Reliability Program (Single Scope Background Investigation required for entry), and Biological Suitability Assessment Program.
• Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
• Ability to obtain/maintain CDC approval to work with BSAT material.
• Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) (biocontainment) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
• Must be willing to be immunized with FDA licensed vaccines and Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents.
• Must be willing to participate in random drug screening.