Laulima Government Solutions, LLC is looking for a qualified Support Scientist at Fort Detrick, MD.
• Supports scientific activities within the Molecular Biology Branch.
• Supports in vivo and in vitro studies.
• Assists Study Directors in all aspects of managing complex animal studies involving administrative, logistical and scientific support (includes study documentation, summary of data, plotting graphs, writing study reports, oral presentation of findings).
• Efficiently plan, execute, and report scientific activities conducted in accordance with directives from the Branch.
• Conducts and independently leads small research projects within the Branch and outlined government program.
• Activities may involve studies that focus on animal testing and countermeasure evaluation, molecular biology, organs-on-chip, in vivo and in vitro experiments but may extend to other disciplines related to virology.
• Maintains strong working knowledge on current classical virology and molecular biology techniques, to include the following:
• Virology assays to include but not limited to titration by TCID50 and plaque assays
• Virus isolation and propagation of working stocks
• Reverse genetics and genomics
• Organ/organoid on a chip system
• Viral life cycle surrogate systems (viral pseudotyping, VLPs, minigenome and budding systems)
• Gene knock in/knock out
• Mechanisms of action
• Cloning and bacterial vector systems
• Enzymatic assays
• DNA/RNA extraction, purification, quantification, transcription, replication, amplification, and mutagenesis, PCR/real-time PCR, microarray
• Analysis of viral load in blood and tissue samples using quantitative real time PCR (one-step and two-step assays)
• In vitro and in vivo systems (animal models) for the study of infectious diseases
• Writes and edits SOPs, animal study protocols, study reports, manuscripts and data summaries for assigned projects.
• Generate master and working stocks of virus and other microbial agents as directed that are well documented and characterized.
• Generate study plans using approved templates and SharePoint processes provided prior to initiation of in vitro and in vivo experiments.
• Generate high quality interim and final study reports and develop them for timely publication in peer reviewed journals.
• Actively participate in practices/processes to enhance data quality and integrity including periodic review of study execution to identify gaps and refine procedures.
• Supervise more junior staff members in effectively conducting and troubleshooting assays, analyzing and reporting results.
• Minimum of a M.S. or higher degree in Virology or a related field from an accredited college or university, PhD preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Must have professional experience in the field of animal virology or molecular biology.
• Strong background and recent hands-on experience in molecular biology methods, optimization, troubleshooting, and analysis.
• Ability to multitask and conduct experiments in support of multiple projects and Study Directors.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Performs well within an interdisciplinary team.
• Agility to adapt quickly to project priorities.
• Must be able to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
• Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening
• Must have the ability to obtain/maintain compliance in the NIH Biosurety Program
• Must have the ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
• The candidate will be required to work in BSL4 containment environment and will be required to pass physical exams and participate in vaccination programs.
• Willingness to work under BSL-3 - BSL-4 conditions. Able to wear respiratory protection.
• Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
• Must have the ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
• Individual must be able to meet the requirements for Public Trust Level 5b. For this level, candidates must complete and pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) with fingerprinting, and a Minimum Background Investigation (MBI).
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of 2 years of applicable experience
• Previous laboratory experience including basic understanding of design, optimization and implementation of quantitative PCR assays
CITIZENSHIP/SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Must either be a U.S Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green-Card Holder.
• Individual must be able to meet the requirements for T3 level clearance. Candidates must complete and pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) with fingerprinting, and a Minimum Background Investigation (MBI).
Laulima Government Solutions, LLC is a fast-growing government service provider. Employees enjoy competitive salaries; a 401K plan with company match; medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; tuition reimbursement; paid time off; and 10 paid holidays. Laulima Government Solutions, LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of individuals with disabilities and veterans. We are proud to state that we do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. We E-Verify all employees.
The Alaka`ina Foundation Family of Companies (FOCs) is comprised of industry-recognized government service firms designated as Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO)-owned and 8(a) certified businesses. The Family of Companies (FOCs) includes Ke`aki Technologies, Laulima Government Solutions, Kūpono Government Services, and Kapili Services, Po`okela Solutions, Kīkaha Solutions, LLC, and Pololei Solutions, LLC. Alaka`ina Foundation activities under the 501(c)3 principally benefit the youth of Hawaii through charitable efforts which includes providing innovative educational programs that combine leadership, science & technology, and environmental stewardship.
For additional information, please visit www.alakainafoundation.com