As a Virology Senior Research Scientist, the incumbent will report directly to the Head of Virology. The incumbent will take an active role in both the planning and execution of research activities related to the discovery and development of novel vaccine vectors and vaccine candidates. This work will be performed as part of a larger multidisciplinary team effort faced with aggressive timelines. The candidate is expected to have a strong background in molecular virology and vaccines. The candidate will work with a team manager to set goals, conceptualize projects and will have significant authority to determine how the research activities will be performed. Strong technical and organizational are essential; excellent communication skills are required as the candidate will participate in oral presentations and the preparation of written technical reports.
•Hands-on experience with molecular biology and virology techniques is required: recombinant DNA techniques, RNA isolation, RT-PCR, sequence
• Perform standard cell culture and use transfection protocols to generate viral vectors and vaccine candidates.
• Operate standard laboratory and experimental equipment such as spectrophotometers, ultracentrifuges etc. as well as an ABI 3500XL DNA sequencer
and organize the sequencing data generated.
• Help to develop new ideas how to either design novel or to improve on existing vaccine candidates and/or platforms.
• Routinely track and document results in laboratory notebooks and databases.
• Assist and support junior team members to accomplish project goals and milestones.
• Analyze, summarize, and present experimental results to other team members, supervisors and third parties.
•Proficient in mammalian cell culture techniques such as microscopy, transfection, virus generation and amplification. An understanding and/or
experience with reverse genetics for the generation of RNA viruses is preferred.
• Familiarity with diverse software packages for cloning, primer design, as well as sequence alignment and blasting.
• Must be highly motivated while also possessing excellent teamwork skills and clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
Other Functions and Responsibilities
• Good foundation in general scientific practice, principles, and concepts of discipline.
• Basic knowledge of GMP/GLP regulations in cGMP/cGLP manufacturing environment preferred.
• Good lab skills.
• Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
• Effective communication skills.
• Good MS Excel and Word skills.
• Excellent organization skills.
• Ability to execute tasks and studies based on the deliverable timeline.
• Ability to analyze and summarize routine scientific data.
• Ability to function in a rapidly changing environment.