The main role of the Postdoctoral Associate (PDA) is to contribute to the research program in the Quiñones-Mateu Laboratory, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (PALM). The PDA will be using a multidisciplinary approach to study virus evolution, with coronaviruses as the first model, to generate broad antigen diversity aimed to develop universal vaccines that could protect against known and/or novel viruses.
• Remuneration: $60,000/year plus Benefits
• Supervisor: Professor Miguel Quiñones-Mateu (PALM) • Application deadline: June 30, 2023
• Start date: September 1, 2023 (or earlier)
• Duration of appointment: Two (2) years, renewable
• Provide technical support, perform key experiments, and be the main force behind virology-related studies, demonstrating a significant degree of independence and initiative
• Assist Professor Quiñones-Mateu with the preparation of scientific manuscripts, as well as abstracts, posters, presentations for scientific conferences, meetings and research funding proposals.
• Co-train undergraduate, Master, and Ph.D. students in the laboratory
• A Ph.D. degree in Virology, Microbiology or any related discipline
• Expertise in molecular virology, specifically respiratory viruses, working in a Containment Level 3 (CL3) Laboratory
• Experience in cell culture, cloning, virus propagation, as well as bioinformatics – Expertise working with bacteriophages (phages) is desired
• Able to work as part of a team and without close supervision
How to Apply:
• Please email (i) CV and (ii) a short letter describing your interest to join our group, including contact information of three work-related references, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.