Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes $9.8 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU @ I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking a Research Specialist I to join our team of professionals.
- - Develops and conducts basic and/or complex research procedures, such as performance of tissue culture, flow cytometry and cell isolation procedures.
- - Manages the mouse colonies within assigned laboratory (husbandry/breeding/genotyping) and helps initiate mouse studies with other laboratories within the Translational Glycobiology Institute at FIU (TGIF).
- - Formulates biochemical and cellular analytical methods and conducts analysis of cell-based adhesion, migration, and death/survival assays.
- - Records and evaluates data and presents results of research findings. Co-authors publications and may co-present results with Principal Investigator at meetings and/or conferences.
- - Trains new students, postdoctoral fellows, and collaborating scientists in cell culture and biochemical methods. Provides assistance with the supervision of part-time lab assistants.
- - Provides suggestions for improving quality of research methods, identifies potential problems, recommends, and implements solutions, and collaborates in the development of new techniques.
- - Assist in regulatory Institutional Review Board (IRB)/ Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)/safety compliance of the laboratory and its members related to institutional guidelines. Maintains the IACUC protocol annual reviews, compliance, and amendments.
- - Prepare and maintain stock solutions and biological reagents. Assist in the inventory and ordering of general laboratory supplies.
- - Help organize laboratory activities/training and experiment planning, ordering and catalog expenditures.
- - Works with minors and/or vulnerable persons who are research participants and/or volunteering in the laboratories.
- - Performs essential duties in any emergencies such as hurricanes, public health emergencies, and/or any other university emergency closing. The employee is expected to be available to report to work as needed during university emergency closing with appropriate notification of a department administrator.
- - Performs related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- - Performs tumor implantation, tumor growth and metastasis studies, and donor immune cell transplantation in mice and helps coordinate analysis with end user researcher.
- - Ensures compliance with all Florida International University and Office of Research and Economic Development policies and procedures.
- - Bachelor's degree in an appropriate specialization and four (4) years of experience or Master's degree and two (2) years of experience.
- Must have prior experience in basic tissue culturing, biochemistry, and animal experimentation.
- Basic knowledge of statistics and mathematics for data analysis
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Maybe required to work flexible hours and/or weekends based on operational needs.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information or to apply, please visit us on-line at http://careers.fiu.edu and reference job opening ID JOB ID: 522954. Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest accompanying their curriculum vitae with names and addresses of three professional references.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.