Staff Clinician (Physician)
Vaccine Research Center
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
Department of Health and Human Services
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Vaccine Research Center (VRC) conducts research that facilitates the development of effective vaccines for human disease, primarily for HIV, biodefense, and emerging infectious diseases. The VRC Clinical Trials Program (CTP) includes clinicians, public educators, protocol and data specialists, as well as support staff. The CTP conducts translational immunology and vaccine research, as well as clinical evaluation of candidate vaccines and monoclonal antibodies targeting HIV, influenza, Ebola, Zika, chikungunya, malaria, and other infectious diseases. The CTP maintains a staff of approximately 55 and initiates up to five trials per year at the NIH Clinical Center. Additionally, the CTP maintains and oversees contracts with external collaborators and organizations for advanced clinical development research including strategic planning, facilitation, support and implantation, and oversight of external clinical trials.
The CTP has a position for a staff clinician (physician) with expertise and significant experience in the conduct, planning, direct oversight, and analysis of an external network of vaccine clinical trials. The incumbent will serve as the chief of the Clinical Trials Program, supervise the CTP staff, and collaborate with VRC staff in clinical research strategic planning, clinical trial design, protocol development, clinical trials operations, and public outreach and recruitment for the CTP, as well as other responsibilities as assigned.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
• Conduct and oversee vaccine clinical trials
• Design and implement clinical research for VRC
• Serve as associate or principal investigator for VRC first-in-human and other Phase I and II investigational vaccine and monoclonal antibody trials
• Design, conduct, and analyze data from clinical and translational vaccine immunology research
• Participate in VRC vaccine clinical development teams
• Serve as member on NIH and external committees and boards as assigned by the VRC
• Publish VRC clinical research findings
• Present VRC research findings publicly (domestically and internationally)
• Participate as team member, co-chair, or chair of domestic and international protocol/clinical trials teams involving VRC vaccine products
• Mentor junior scientists and clinicians, including clinical fellows
• U.S. citizen
• M.D. or D.O. with active medical license
• Expertise and experience in conducting or providing direct oversight of vaccine clinical trials (other significant and similar clinical trials experience may be considered)
• Board certification in internal medicine and either infectious diseases or allergy and immunology (other internal medicine subspecialty training will be considered)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Visit USAJobs.gov and access the detailed Supervisory Physician (Clinical) vacancy announcement NIH-GR-DH-20-10844131beginning July 6, 2020. Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. on July 15, 2020.
Visit NIAID Careers for additional opportunities and information about working in NIAID’s dynamic atmosphere.
HHS, NIH, and NIAID are equal opportunity employers committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion.