Senior Staff Fellow (Research/Review Scientist) – Viral Vaccines
OFFICE OF VACCINES RESEARCH AND REVIEW (OVRR)
CENTER FOR BIOLOGICS EVALUATION AND RESEARCH (CBER)
FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION (FDA)
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (HHS)
The FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), Office of Vaccines Research and Review (OVRR), Division of Viral Products (DVP) is recruiting to fill a Senior Staff Fellow position to serve as a Principal Investigator in the Lab of Method Development.
Members of DVP are actively engaged in a variety of areas including virology and immunology, as well as live and inactivated vaccines against a variety of viral pathogens. DVP is located at the FDA’s White Oak campus and is part of the CBER research program, which includes more than 70 principal investigators. The FDA White Oak Campus has new state-of-the-art laboratories with high-quality core facilities that include veterinary support and a vivarium, animal imaging, microscopy, flow cytometry, genomics, proteomics, and biotechnology. DVP investigators also have access to BSL-3 and ABSL-3 laboratories!
As a Principal Investigator, you will perform the following major duties:
• Lead the laboratory in fields relevant to regulation of the safety, efficacy or availability of viral vaccines
• Participate in the regulatory review of licensed and experimental vaccines and novel treatments modalities
• Areas if potential research interest include (but are not limited to):
• Understanding emerging and re-emerging viral pathogens
• Development of new products and technologies related to viral vaccines
• Use of next-generation technologies to study viruses and their interaction with the host
• Create and evaluate methods for controlling the manufacturing process including advanced/continuous manufacturing
• Development and validation of biomarkers of viral disease and immunity, and vaccine safety and efficacy
• Reverse vaccinology utilizing genomics to search for vaccine targets
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: Biology, RG-0401: Degree in Biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position, -OR- Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree (M.D., D.V.M., etc.) is required. Successful candidates should have an outstanding publication record of research productivity, exceptional written and oral communication skills, and clear evidence of leadership potential.
REQUIRED SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Candidates must have at least 2 years of relevant postdoctoral laboratory experience in virology, immunology or a related field. In addition, he/she must have demonstrated experience in performing state-of-the-art research related to virology, immunology, and pathogenesis of viral diseases, or viral pathogenesis with direct relevance to the development and evaluation of new viral vaccines.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
SALARY: Salary is commensurate with education and experience, with excellent benefits including a relocation package.
LOCATION: Silver Spring, MD
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED: Once the job opportunity announcement closes on (09/30/2019), your application will be reviewed will be reviewed to determine your qualification for this position specifically. Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position will be filled through the Service Fellowship program. The appointment is for up to four years with opportunities for renewal. Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified candidates, including U.S. citizens or non-U.S. Citizens holding valid immigration status and work authorization at the FDA. No previous Federal experience is required. Appointment does not confer any entitlement to a position in the competitive service, and there is no entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeals rights.
• Background and/or Security investigation required.
• If applicant is an U.S. Citizen, males born on, or after, December 31st, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service System or have an approved exemption. Visit www.SSS.gov for more info.
• Prohibited financial interest restrictions may apply. For additional information on the prohibited financial interests, please visit the FDA Ethics and Integrity Office website at http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WorkingatFDA/Ethics/default.htm.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit electronic resume or curriculum vitae with a cover letter containing a brief summary of scientific accomplishments, Statement of Research with future plan (no more than 4 pages) and the names/contact information of three references to CBER Recruitment at CBER.Employment@fda.hhs.gov. In addition, include a statement of proposed research direction and how it would be applicable to viral vaccines (maximum 500 words). Applications and all supporting documentation will be accepted through September 30, 2019. Please reference Job Code: OVRR-19-04-ASV.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For additional information on CBER Careers, please visit:
• CBER Careers: www.fda/gov/cbercareers
• Scientific Careers at the FDA: https://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/workingatfda/scientificcareers/default.htm