A Biocontainment Research Associate Position is available immediately in the laboratory of Dr. Thomas Geisbert, to support studies evaluating vaccines and treatments against BSL-4 viruses and to support work characterizing the pathogenesis of these agents in animal models. Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in basic science or equivalent or Master’s degree in basic science or equivalent. The applicant must have at least two years of significant experience in maintaining mammalian cell cultures. The applicant must also have at least two years of experience working with infectious agents including viruses. The applicant must meet all State and Federal requirements necessary for working with Select Agents.
More than two years of experience maintaining mammalian cell cultures is highly preferred. More than two years of experience performing plaque assays, virus neutralization assays, and ELISAs is highly preferred. More than two years of experience working with viruses in BSL-3 or BSL-4 is preferred. The ideal candidate would have a DOJ clearance and more than two years of BSL-3 or BSL-4 experience working with cell cultures, viruses, and laboratory animals.
• Performs, coordinates and conducts standard research experiments following technical instructions in BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 work environments
• Performs functions of research projects utilizing hazardous viruses that require BSL-4 containment
• Performs technical services including but not limited to maintaining cell cultures, isolating peripheral blood mononuclear cells, plaque assays, virus neutralization assays, immunoblots, ELISA, tissue sampling and processing, and clinical pathology assays (hematology, clinical chemistry, blood coagulation)
• Contributes to scientific analysis of projects
• Writes and reviews methods sections of manuscripts
• Orders and maintains lab inventory of supplies, animals, and equipment
• Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected, compiles and tabulates data, and provides analysis of results
• Maintains knowledge of BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 operations
• Adheres to internal controls established for the department
• Performs related duties as required
Salary range is between $37,920 and $84,125 annually, commensurate with experience. Depending on the experience and education, the candidate might be considered for a Biocontainment Research Associate III.
UTMB has several highly interactive research centers, biomedical institutes, and a national biocontainment laboratory with excellent infrastructure to conduct research at BSL2, -3 and -4 on diverse animal models of infectious diseases. The Department, with 31 full-time faculty members, is ranked among the top of its peer departments in NIH funding. Interested candidates should apply to Job id #63819, Biocontainment Research Associate II via the UTMB careers website at https://www.utmb.edu/careers/
“UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.”